Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Second Guesses

This weeks WD writing prompt response. I went light kind of filling the dark and political in my other projects right now.

I have always been a light sleeper since that one night in Bangkok. We don’t talk about that. I had been awake for a good ten minutes trying to keep my eyes closed, my body relaxed, and my breathing slow and steady. My guess was that the person entering the room woke me. I believe my pretending to be asleep wasn’t all that effective.
The gun cocking made me jerk a bit. I tried to pass it off as a stirring in my sleep but I don’t think they bought it. I spent some time wondering who would want to kill me enough to sneak into my room in the middle of the night. It was a futile exercise. Eighty percent of the people I knew and probably half my fans would be happy to do the deed.
My eyes slid open a crack, dimming the smell of cheap sex and cheaper booze still clinging to the room from the romp the night before. The door was open so I could see two of my band mates watching from the hall. I idly wondered if they had moved since watching the circus sideshow that was my love life a few hours prior.
They were trying to tell me to not give them away. I guess they had a plan. That did not bode well for me. My band mates were, not to put too fine a point on it, idiots.
Her voice dripped like honey into my ear and now the shudder was unmistakable. She already knew I was awake but I couldn’t even pretend anymore. Female voice, well that narrowed down the suspect pool. Unfortunately it didn’t help because if you only considered the women I knew… one hundred percent of them had reason to want to kill me.
Wait… her? My hands reached out. Maybe it was one of the girls from the night before. Nope, they were both still unconscious where they should have been. My hands got distracted for a second, taking the rest of me with them. Finally my mind refocused, reminding me I was in dire straits and replaying what the woman had said.
“Don’t look at me or the game ends here. Give me a good enough one liner and you might get out of this alive.”
I was well known for my wit but I tried to stall. The morons in the hall would feel better if they finally did something useful. The swish of cloth filled my ears like impending doom just before tepid steel pressed to my temple. The hole the bullet would exit felt as big as the Grand Canyon. I knew I was out of time so I opened my lips and let words fall out automatically.
“Careful love, in this room I’m the one that makes a mess because my gun went off prematurely.”
She laughed.
I lived.
Everyone still wants me dead.

Nobody said leading and internationally renowned comedy polka band would be easy.




#shortstory #writing #light #comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment