Thursday, September 18, 2014

Serial Monogamy

Emily was my first serious crush. We dated briefly, after Chuck, but our relationship was fated to burn bright then fizzle. Yesterday was the first time I called her since then. I was elated when she agreed to meet at noon today.
Emily arrived at my neighborhood pub before me. It was not until I sat down that I realized she was wearing a wedding dress.  She had ordered for me. She knew me well. The burger was perfect but I had not partaken in Amaretto Sours since that night. She responded to my gaze at her dress.
“I’m supposed to be getting married today but…”
I tried to find the words but they all stuck in my throat. She averted her eyes as she continued.
“You know how my dad never approved of any of my boyfriends?”
“Yeah.” Finally a word! It sounded weak to my ears.
“Well he approves of Jim, because my fiancĂ© is an FBI agent. Good enough for me. You know?”
“Yeah.” It sounded weaker still.
“I don’t know if I can go through with it. Not how things stand. Jim started asking questions. I think he knows about the night.”
The night we had agreed never to speak of. Senior year she had been dating a boy named Chuck. One night over too many Amaretto Sours she confessed that Chuck hit her. As she went into detail my anger rose along with my intoxication. I called my buddies Bill, who had a truck, and Frank who was the biggest boy I knew. Emily tried to stop it but in the end she rode along. That night Chuck disappeared. The police looked but not very hard. Chuck had been from the wrong side of the tracks. There was a look in Emily’s eyes when it happened. Something broke inside her at witnessing that act. Even as it freed her it stole her innocence. I was always surprised at how well she coped.
She asked about our two old friends. I let her know that Bill’s brakes had given out one night on his way home. Frank suffered heart failure from too many drugs during a session with a prostitute that was never found. Emily looked annoyed hearing about the prostitute. She had always been a good girl. Of course the mention of drugs and whores would bother here.
“Do you think we can give us another chance? Get the worry out of my life and move on?” She was looking down shyly as she held up her glass of wine.
I gave in and clinked my tumbler to her glass. This was our new beginning. It had been a long time since I indulged in that cocktail. I didn’t remember it smelling so strongly of almonds. Had they always been so acrid tasting? Maybe the sour mix needed to be replaced.
Why is my tongue numb?
Emily is kissing my cheek and telling me she can finally get married.
                I thought we were leaving together.






#dark #shortstory #villainess

No comments:

Post a Comment