Sunday, September 14, 2014

On Writers

So one of my big things is hanging out on Writer's Digest and doing their weekly writing prompts. It is an amazing community. One of the folks there got down on themselves and I had to write a response. This might tell you the way I think of my art. And oh yeah... since I haven't said it in this post buy my book.

Thank you (name deleted to protect the innocent). I aim to please, well mostly I just aim to let the stories out of my head, but pleasing and someday making money with this are close seconds. I am sorry I have not commented on your story. I read and enjoyed it. I have found that my life is swallowing much of my writing and this forum, as much as I love it, was eating more time than I intended. I have had to pull back a bit. However you should never feel inferior. You are good and you write stories that touch and teach. If you see something or someone you consider good or great then aspiration is wonderful but you should never feel inferior.
Those of us who do this have it hard enough with the judgments of the world. From the moment we hear “But what do you really want to do?” or “How will you pay the bills while you see if it works out?” we know we are different and it is implied that we are lesser, because stories don’t pay the bills, and don’t build societies. Then we here from painters, actors, and other artists that writing isn’t real art and we know even in our tribe we are the outsiders who are looked down on. Well you know what? Storytelling has built society, it brings joy, intelligence, peace, and greatness to the world and it has been around longer than those careers that are now considered viable and will be here when something new has crushed those paths underfoot and moved on. The world makes us feel inferior enough, never do that to yourself. Know that you are great and aspire to be even better. Because you are, and you can be but so can the rest of us. I refuse to feel inferior when I read something by one of the giants. I just realize I’ve got a big task ahead of me to fill those shoes. Please know that you are brave and amazing and helping to build a better world.

Okay. There came my soapbox. Maybe commenting on too little sleep and a few adult beverages is not the best idea in the world, but I meant every word of it. I am glad you found it again and hope you stick with it. I have gone on and off. I never completely lost it but would set it aside for “real life” from time to time. Never give up now that you’re back though. My own story is I have three completed novels and another one that I’m working on. Not because they have been rejected multiple times, but because I have been afraid to put them out there. So I think losing the path is more respectable than seeing it and being afraid to walk it. But we’re both making up for lost time.



#writers #commentary #thoughts #authors #artists #outsider #soapbox

No comments:

Post a Comment